Saturday, March 14, 2020

To You, O Lord, I Give Myself in Gratitude Today

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; 
     I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. 
I will be glad and rejoice in you; 
     I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High. 
(Psalm 9:1-2)





At the beginning of the day, O Lord, 
I am determined to live with gratitude. 
Nothing has happened yet, 
except that I have awakened and risen with the sun. 
But I know that the day will be filled 
with blessings from you – 
because you’re that kind of God: 
gracious and compassionate, full of steadfast love.

Open my eyes, Lord, 
  to see your goodness all around me.

Open my heart, Lord, 
  to embrace the beauty and 
  grace which you shower upon me.

Open my mind, Lord, 
  to know that every moment is a gift from you, 
  and that every person I encounter 
  is one of your precious children.

But why should I speak in the future tense: 
I will give thanks to you with all my heart,”? 
Indeed, even now I give you thanks. 
Even now, before another moment passes, 
I praise your name, and I rejoice in you.

Because I love you, 
and I know that whatever happens today, 
in the midst of it all I will experience your goodness.

To you, O Lord, I give myself in gratitude today.

Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am "Praying with David," using prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment