Sunday, March 15, 2020

Don't Be Socially Distant, O God

But you, Lord, do not be far from me. 
     You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
(Psalm 22:19)



There’s a new term we’re learning, O God:
"Social distancing," it’s called.
I know it’s a good thing,
because it helps to prevent the spread 
of this pernicious disease, COVID-19.
I know we need to keep separated
and isolate ourselves.

But it creates loneliness, O God.
At the time when we most need
a hug, a warm embrace,
we are told to stay away.

But you, Lord – do not be far from me.
     You are my strength; come quickly to help me.

Make known to me your presence, O God.
Give me assurance that you are with me.
In the silence of my loneliness, speak to me:
"Never will I leave you nor forsake you."

Strengthen me by the knowledge of your presence,
that I may in some way 
manifest your presence to others:
  through phone calls,
    through deliveries of food or necessities,
      through letters or cards,
        through kind words spoken to a stranger.

Please, God, don’t “socially distance” yourself from me.
Amen.



During the season of Lent, I am “Praying with David,” using prayers found in the psalms as inspiration for personal prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment